Sunday, September 30, 2012

New Blog Layout

At least I have the sun glasses in common.


I've spent the last week or so fighting a vicious cold and spending way too much time at home.  I got bored and started messing around with the blog format.  I figured if the NCR can do it, so can I.  I kind of like this format because it's got some versatility.  If readers click on any of the options on the header, you can change the presentation of the blog and the content it brings up.  The most recent posts will always be displayed first.  I clicked on the 'mosaic' link and was dumb founded with the number of older posts this displays.  It really does give a mosaic of the posts I have written here for the last four or so years.  I can't believe it's been that long.

To access the old side bar, just slide your cursor to the right hand edge and it will pop up the side bar with all the features I had previously loaded.  I'm going to run this for a week or so and would appreciate reader feedback.  If it's mostly positive I will maintain this look. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow Colleen!

    Very impressive look. There are quite a few sophisticated features. What is the name of the template? What company?

    It might take a while to get used to it. I like to use your blog links so I might prefer that they open in a new tab, but that's a minor criticism.

    I did like the latest comments showing on the right. I didn't like the last template always mangling special characters like apostrophes and ampersands. The larger comment box makes it much easier for me, and others who like to be a bit windy to compose.

    All the best.

    p2p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to this comment I just noticed the comments aren't on the sidebar. I shall have to look into that.

    The template is Google's Dynamic. I messed around with colors and fonts and some other stuff. When I click on the right tab that gives links to the side bar I have no problem with it, except for the fact recent comments is indeed missing.

    What I personally like about it is I can move from post to post to check comments much easier than having to reload the main page. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it a bit baffling. And as I said in a comment days ago that wasn't posted, I miss the quotation about drawing circles.

    All in all I still prefer the former arrangement,but appreciate if it's easier for you, that must be a big plus.

    All good wishes - looking forward to reading you on the Lionheart of SF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am getting used to the new design and loving it, but there are a few quirks. Using a Mac with Firefox I sometimes have to load the main page twice. The first time some of the information comes, the background does not, neither does the right bar containing links etc. That does not happen all the time.

    From an iphone using Safari the home page does not work as nicely as the old format. Is there a "mobile" version? The under the old format the "mobile" version was superior!

    p2p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I can't add some of my favorite sidebar stuff, like recent comments, and a couple of other things. There's some stuff I do like, especially the looks of the main page, but I'm thinking when I'm done with my two week re energize period, I will go back to the old format.

      Delete